Thinking of trying somewhere new and interesting to camp? Consider these 7 Door County Campgrounds + a few honorable mentions you don’t want to miss!
7 Best Campgrounds In Door County + Honorable Mentions
Let me just start out by saying, if you’re going camping in beautiful Door County, I don’t think you’ll be disappointed no matter where you decide to stay.
There are miles of shoreline, so much to do, great places to eat, and fun events all throughout the year so you’re sure to have a great time!
But, if you’re looking for advice from someone who lives not too far from Door County and has done a fair share of camping in both private campgrounds as well as state parks, keep reading because visiting this peninsula is one of our favorite things to do.
Ready To Plan Your Door County Camping Vacation?
Get your RV out of winter storage, sanitize your water tank, grab a few fun camping games and activities, and brush up on tips to make the best campfire, because after reading about these Door County Campgrounds you’re going to be ready for camping season and fun outdoor adventures!!
1. Peninsula State Park
This Wisconsin State Park is huge! It’s a 3,776-acre park to be exact.
And not only are there five campgrounds with over 460 campsites and three group camps for tent camping but there are also many other things to do as well.
In addition to camping, this pet-friendly state park offers an 18-hole golf course, bike trails, a lighthouse, a summer theater, hiking, picnic areas, and eight miles of Lake Michigan shoreline where you can launch your boat, fish, swim, and enjoy all the fun nature has to offer.
Speaking of nature, there is also a beautiful beach where you can rent canoes, kayaks, stand-up paddles boards, and other fun recreational equipment. In addition to renting equipment, there is also a camp store where you can buy supplies and even get a little snack.
Peninsula State Park is one of the best places to camp in Wisconsin, but just a word of advice-reserve your spot early!!
If you’re flexible on your dates or just need a campsite for a day or two you may be able to get a spot without reserving months in advance, but if you’re looking for specific dates you’ll definitely want to make reservations as soon as possible.
Interested in staying at this Wisconsin State Park? You can find more info about this beautiful campground and reserve your campsite online here!
Nearby Attractions To This State Park
Want to check out a few attractions within a short drive (or walk) of Peninsula State Park? Here are a few you don’t want to miss!
- Skyway Drive-In Theater– this is an absolute favorite, my kids love it!
- Door County Trolley (10 fun-themed trolly tours!)
- Door County Rock & Gem
- Fish Creek Scenic Boat Tours
- Lautenbach’s Orchard Country Winery & Market
And that’s just a few of the local shops, things to do, places to eat, and fun to be had near Peninsula State Park!
2. Fish Creek Campground
Fish Creek Campground is a great little campground in Fish Creek that is family-run, offers a peaceful place to stay with clean facilities and modern amenities, and is centrally located.
When you stay in this door county campground you can enjoy a rec room with a number of games available, a fish cleaning station, outdoor activities, community bonfires on weekends, a camp store, a laundry facility, and a dump station.
One other great bonus to staying at this campground is that it’s conveniently located to everything door county offers.
In fact, Peninsula State Park is just a short drive.
Don’t forget to bring your bathing suit, fishing pole, and grab your hiking boots on the way out the door so you can enjoy all that door county has to offer!
If you’re interested in learning more about rates, looking at the photo gallery, or making reservations online, you can find more info here.
Looking for fun activities and attractions to add to your door county camping experience? In addition to the attractions listed above, here are a few ideas…
- Northern Sky Theater-a theater in the great outdoors where you can watch original shows under the stars
- Edgewood Orchard Galleries– a family-owned art gallery that showcases beautiful art along with an amazing sculpture garden
- Eagle Bluff Lighthouse– step back in time when you experience a tour of this lighthouse compete with original furnishings
3. Washington Island Campground
Next on our Door County campgrounds list is Washington Island Campground.
This campground is unique for many reasons, but first and foremost because it’s on an island!
Washington Island Campground is also a great place to stay because of its beautiful camping & RV sites, swimming pond with inflatables, playground, and volleyball area, and they even have horse sites so that you can camp and bring your favorite four-legged friend!
To get to this campground you need to take the Washington Island Ferry across Death’s Door (no kidding- that’s what the passage is called!).
Because of the need to ferry across to the island, you will definitely want to factor in the cost of taking an RV or camper. It’s not terribly expensive (although that depends on what is expensive to you!), but just be aware that there is a separate charge for each person, automobile, or oversized vehicle (like an RV).
If you find the cost to ferry everything and your kitchen sink over more than you are willing to spend you can always choose to leave your RV home and stay in one of the cabins at the campground or bring a tent!
Interested in finding rates, taking a virtual tour of the campground, or making reservations online? You can do it all right here!
Washington Island Campground has great amenities and fun things to do, but if you are on an island and have a little time, you should definitely go out and explore!
Here are a few things you won’t want to miss:
- Fragrant Isle Lavender Farm & Shop– this is a real lavender farm with a gift shop and is so beautiful!
- Cherry Train Tour– narrated tour of Washington Island
- Gathering Ground– non-profit vineyard and orchard with a weekly farmer’s market
- Trueblood Performing Arts Center-music, art fair, and more!
And that’s just a few places to visit! Be sure to check out Washington Island’s website to find museums, unique shops, sandy beaches, scenic tours, and so much more!
4. Wagon Trail Campground
Wagon Trail Campground is a wonderfully peaceful place to relax, unwind and enjoy some real, quality family time!
You’ll love this door county campground because of the sense of privacy from wooded sites, clean bathrooms, beautiful flowers and wildlife, adorable camp store, game room, playground, and so much more!
(It is even big rig friendly if that’s something you need.)
There are even walking trails and a shallow beach within walking distance if you feel like enjoying a little sun and sand.
Not sure if you feel like hauling your RV? No problem!
Wagon Trail Campground has rental RVs and cabins so you can still enjoy the campground and local activities.
One other thing you might want to try- staying in a yurt! What a fun summer vacation experience for the whole family!!
Feel like exploring the area a little? Here are a few things you don’t want to miss when staying at Wagon Trail Campground!
- Rowley’s Bay Resort- kayak, zipline, and try a segway
- Pioneer Store- the cutest old-fashioned country store!!
- Viking Grill & Lounge Fish Boil- experience a delicious fish boil
- Ellison Bluff County Park-enjoy hiking trails and great views of Green Bay
- Mink River Nature Conservancy- canoe, bird watch, and enjoy nature
Interested in everything the Rowley’s Bay/Ellison Bay area has to offer? You can find activities, places to eat, and find out more about all of Door County on their website!
5. Egg Harbor Campground & RV Resort
Egg Harbor Campground & RV Resort has everything you need for a great camping vacation in the door county area.
They offer a camp store, playground, heated pool, game room, bath/shower facilities, laundry room facilities, and plenty of fun
There are lots that can accommodate any type of camper or RV, tent sites, and even cabins available for rent.
And, if it’s fun you’re after, Egg Harbor Campground offers planned activities throughout the season and there is a golf course almost next to the campground!
If you’re looking for a clean, well-maintained campground or RV park in Door County with a friendly staff, you will not be disappointed.
- Plum Loco Farm– a farm and sanctuary where you can enjoy connecting with animals
- The Orchards At Egg Harbor– play a few rounds at this beautiful 18 hole championship golf course
- Egg Harbor Fun Park– family fun that includes go-karts, zip-lining, arcade games, and more!
This is just a shortlist of some of the fun things to do in Egg Harbor. If you’re looking for great dining, shopping, or events, be sure to check out their website!
6. Door County KOA (Formerly Quietwoods South Camping Resort)
If you’re visiting door county and looking for a campground located close to Sturgeon Bay WI, check out Door County KOA.
Until recently, this campground was named Quietwoods South Camping Resort but has changed hands but still offers all of the amenities and fun!
If you’re looking for RV camping in Door County that is pet friendly, has a fishing pond, swimming, mini-golf, themed weekends, and more then this campground is for you.
Door County KOA is one of the favorite RV parks for families because of the wooded land, large campsites, and abundant amenities.
Ready to learn more? You can check out the Door County KOA website for more info or to make online reservations.
Headed to Sturgeon Bay WI and wondering what you should do once you’re there? Here are a few great options!
- Potawatomi State Park– enjoy hiking nature trails, biking, water sports on Green Bay (there is a boat launch), and there are even camping sites too!
- Sturgeon Bay Segway Tours– take a guided tour and enjoy the amazing views of the area
7. Tranquil Timbers Camping Resort
Tranquil Timbers RV Resort in Sturgeon Bay is a great place to camp, relax, and enjoy everything the area has to offer.
This campground has a number of amenities- when they say resort they really mean it!
When camping here you can enjoy mini-golf, bike trails, a game room, volleyball courts, basketball, horseshoes, a pool, and so much more.
In addition to the amenities, there are also planned kid’s activities, dancing, live entertainment, bingo, and card games, and the list goes on!
The great part is that you can choose to participate in any or all of the activities or sit back, relax, and enjoy a little time outdoors.
Want to have the fun of staying in a campground but don’t have a camper? No problem! Tranquil Timbers has cabins available for rent (there are even deluxe cabins available!).
- Waterfront Mary’s Bar & Grill– great view and the fish boil is a must-see!
- Door County Maritime Museum– interesting museum you don’t want to miss
- The Farm– a living museum of rural America
- Heritage Village At Big Creek– step back in time and learn all about life in the mid-late 1800s
- Sail Sturgeon Bay– cruise the waters and see Sturgeon Bay from a different viewpoint!
This is just a glimpse of what is available in Sturgeon Bay! If you’re looking for more fun ideas you can find them on the city’s website.
Camping In Door County Honorable Mentions
The campgrounds on the Door County list above are all great choices, but there are many others that may be a better fit for your needs or location.
Here are a few to consider:
- Door County Jellystone Park
- Bailey’s Grove Campground
- Aqualand Campground
- Harbour Village Resort
- Frontier Wilderness Campground
- Hy-Land Court RV Campground
These are just a few places to go camping in Door County.
I may actually have to do another article and include other campgrounds along with nearby attractions because there is so much to see and do in the area.
It truly is a one-of-a-kind vacation destination!
A Few Last Thoughts About Door County Camping
If you’re looking for a vacation where you can explore the outdoors, spend time on the shores of beautiful Lake Michigan, and enjoy great dining, wineries, museums, galleries, and shops- Door County is the perfect vacation destination!
There’s no better place to enjoy nature, relax, and have fun.
Now get out there and enjoy one of the many Door County campgrounds and everything the area has to offer! Have fun!!!
- 20+ Fun & Engaging Camping Games For Adults
- 21 Fun Campfire Games You’re Going To Love!
- 20 Fun Camping Activities For Kids
- Fall Camping: Benefits, Tips & Fun Activities
- Best Campfire Tricks, Tips & Hacks You Need To Know!